HOW TO PAVE - NCAT
To provide innovative, relevant, and implementable research, technology development and education that advances safe, durable, and sustainable asphalt pavements.
TOPIC: Surface Preparation
- Evaluate repair treatment selection.
- Describe effect of surface preparation techniques on pavement performance.
- Identify best practices for patching.
- Name four reasons for performing milling.
- Name three reasons for leveling.
- Describe best practices for tack application.
TOPIC: Mix Delivery and Segregation
- Describe delivery and unloading safety hazards
- Describe specification requirements for haul trucks
- Explain how to avoid mixture segregation
- Describe how to detect thermal segregation
- Describe the effect of segregation on pavement performance
TOPIC: Asphalt Mix Placement
- Name key components of an asphalt paver and the function of each.
- Identify results of improper paver operation and determine appropriate corrective action.
- Determine spread rate.
- Understand the purpose of compaction
- Relate mix type, density, and air voids to permeability and performance
- Match types of compaction equipment with their functions
- Evaluate the effect of various factors on the ability to achieve density
- Determine time available for compaction
- Identify new technologies for compaction operations
TOPIC: Joint Construction
- Identify best practices for creating a transverse joint.
- Differentiate among types of longitudinal joints.
- Identify best practices for longitudinal joint construction.
- Identify consequences of poor joint density.
TOPIC: Summary and Review
- Review course materials by answering topic-related questions
- Relate mat defects to probable causes and determine potential corrective action
- Project Evaluation
- Partial Depth Cold In Place Recycling
- Cold Central Plant Recycling
- Full Depth Recycling
- Hot In Place Recycling
- Mixture Design
The final product of the SHRP asphalt program area is Superpave. Superpave
is an acronym which stands for: Superior Performing Asphalt Pavements
Major Steps in Superpave
- Selection of Materials
- Selection of a Design Aggregate Structure
- Selection of the Design Binder Content
- Evaluation of Moisture Sensitivity of the Design Mixture
TOPIC: Asphalt Quality
- Grade dumping and bumping
- Characterization of RAP binders
- Blending charts
- Effect of RAP on binder properties
- Effect of RAP on mix properties
- Modified asphalt in a RAP world
TOPIC: Using RAP in Asphalt Mixtures
“The use of recycled materials, particularly reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP) and reclaimed asphalt shingles (RAS), conserve raw materials and reduce overall asphalt mixture costs….”
- Survey Scope
- Asphalt mix producers from all 50 states represented
- 228 companies/branches with 1,185 plants represented
Thin Asphalt Overlays
TOPIC: Thin Asphalt Overlays
- Shift from new construction to renewal and preservation
- Material Improvements
- Functional improvements for safety and smoothness are needed more than structural improvements – Perpetual Pavements